Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Face#505-#510

At last, some new faces! I have some sketches and some work in progress to show for today. First up is some sketching on the back of a big envelope. It was just sitting there, and all that blank space was just calling out to me and I couldn't resist!The next two sketches I made before bed the other night. I couldn't sleep, so I pulled out a pastel pad and pastel pencil and started sketching.Here's a piece in progress. I think the background is going to be of a more abstract nature. After finishing this face, I thought it had a slight resemblance to actor Rufus Sewell. Although I have done two portraits of Mr.Sewell, any resemblance here was not deliberate or arranged. I loved working with this medium value blue Canson sheet. The flesh tones really "sing" against it! This very dark blue Canson sheet below has been a study of working with a very dark ground. Here below is a loosely rendered "digital road map" I have been using to assist for where I want to take the piece. That's my show and tell for today. Not sure how much I will get done between now and Thanksgiving. If I don't get another post done before that, let me wish you a Happy Thanksgiving now! And until next time, take care!