Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

"The Commuter", And Faces #665-#669

The first piece below that I want to share today, is called "The Commuter" 11" by 14", pastel and ink. The commuter is a man with mixed emotions. Though he has a slight smile upon his face, his brow is furrowed as he sits jammed between the seat he is in and the one in front of him. From a design point of view, though the visible sliver of the seat in front of him balances the piece, it lies on a pressure point. This placement is deliberate, as is the fact that the seat is too close to the man, all to lend a feeling of unease and tension. Though the commuter has a window seat, the window is somewhat dingy and gray. There is a lot of gray in the piece, and even the man's hair is gray. Perhaps he has commuted his way through life such as this; in cramped, uncomfortable spaces but still forcing a smile. In the portion of the window closest to his face, the sky is a brighter blue.


The rest of the faces I want to share today, are all pastel pencil studies. I wasn't going to include the last face pictured, because I was too tired when I drew it. But I decided to include it just the same.





I was commissioned yesterday to draw/design a mermaid by someone who saw some of my paintings. They are wanting to use it for conversion into a large decal for their boat. I will be sure to share the resulting artwork here.

I hope everyone has been having a good week, and I will post again over the weekend! Take care!