Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Funny Papers, Faces #689-#690

 Because my last few posts have been mostly work in black and white, I figured I'd throw in some color today. These below I did really just for amusement yesterday, more than anything else. They certainly won't be entered into any shows or competitions anytime soon. There are elements in each of them I may use in another piece I am wanting to do (hopefully soon). 

This first one below I initially drew with some exaggerated features in his face and head, but I wanted to keep the skin tones on a more believable note. There were some very distracting errors in the foreshortening of his torso, and I didn't like the way he looked in this background I rendered. He was to be an outdoors man of sorts, at a lake...but that's getting away from my original idea of more comedic value. The subject and background just don't play well together. I find in the second photo where I have cropped it, I like it better. The focus stays on his face and its exaggerations.



 In this next one there was a lot more harmony between the subject and background. This is one of those pieces you do where you are in it solely for the laughs, and just grab colors for their feel-good qualities.


I will try to squeeze in another post later in the week. Until next time, take care!