Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Monday, July 22, 2013

Tropical Breezes, Face #828

While I would have liked to report that I have been off on an adventure or engaged in a steamy summer romance; the reasons for not having posted sooner are a lot less glamorous.  But while I have not posted, I still have been painting and sketching. I had more faces rendered in charcoal to show by this point, but will save them for my next post since there are already other things I wanted to show today. 

The first piece (below) 8.5" by 12.5", pastel, on Canson paper; I have titled "Tropical Breezes".
This next piece, at 19" by 25" is a surrealistic mixed media piece. I worked on it, on and off, for a few days. 
 I don't think it is finished, and actually like it cut into two paintings (below); both of which I would extend with a border with some sort of geometric elements. Should I decide to do so, I will post. In any event, working this piece gave me lots of ideas for some mixed media pieces I may do in the future.

 Finally; has anyone ever cooked with these "rice sticks" before? This particular brand has three generous servings per package, which I broke up immediately for three separate meals.
 What an easy and quick base for a summer meal! The rice sticks are never boiled, but rather soaked for 5 to 8 minutes. While they are soaking, you can start stir frying your veggies (and meat if you like). Then, you drain the soaking noodles, and throw them in your stir fry for two minutes until they are softened completely and hot.
While brown rice products are healthier, this is good for an occasional meal. It can be light, depending on how much you eat and what you add to it. I made the first serving with just some Italian seasonings and sauteed garlic in olive oil. The second serving (shown above), I made with a sweet potato hash, caramelized onion, white beans, 4 cups of wilted greens thrown in at the last minute, and "Aunt Cora's Soulful Seasonings". Lastly, the third serving I cooked for my son who lives up the street. A frequently hungry college student, he complained he had nothing to eat. I asked if he had a chicken breast, which he did. I told him to cook it, and that I would be cooking the rest of his meal to add to it and would bring it to him. I went to work soaking the noodles, and stir frying 2 cups of broccoli, a cup of snow peas, a handful of matchstick carrots in an organic terryaki sauce from Hawaii. He added his chicken, and had himself a tasty meal high in fiber. The rice sticks will take on any seasonings you add, and when combined with your choice of veggies and/or meat can make preparing dinner a one-dish breeze.

Hope you are all enjoying your summer. Until next time, take care!