Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Face #265, Natalie Portman

Though some found the movie "Black Swan" disturbing, I thought it was visually stunning. Natalie Portman did an excellent job in it. Without spoiling anything about the movie to anyone who hasn't seen it, I think if you bear in mind the underlying symbolism of good and evil in the movie, it is more enjoyable what you will gain from the film.
Initially, I thought drawing this face from the photograph would be easy, because it was cropped and because of the angle of her face. I also thought most of the skin tones seemed to mesh with palettes I had used before, also making it easier. But I was overtired when I first went to draw Ms. Portman, and had a lot of trouble getting the initial drawing down. In fact, I had to finally put it down, and wait until this morning to work on it again with fresher eyes. What I find with these portraits, is that there is a lot of re-drawing while working in the pastel. The better my original drawing, the less corrections happen along the way...but nonetheless, corrections with pastel are fairly easy to make. My methodology for working these portraits is to continue layering the pastel and manipulating the image until the face staring back at me is a familiar one!
I will post again later in the week. Until next time, take care!