Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Faces #596-#598

If I hadn't wanted to do something special for face #600, I would have just squeezed another two faces in this post and hit that 600 faces mark. But I should be able to reach that easily by later in the week, even with a lot of other things going on. These below are faces #596, #597, and #598 and are more studies. 
The first two were studies of skin tones on toned paper.The blue paper, although I have worked with it before, can be a little challenging. I am not what they call an "edge to edge" pastelist who covers the entire surface of a painting as one would when  painting on canvas. Although I have gone edge to edge before, I prefer a lot of the paper to show through. This tendency comes from drawing, and regarding the page itself as having as much value as whatever medium one uses to put on the page. In any case, the blue paper can be seen showing through subtly on the man's face (most notably, just above the lower jaw line) where the pastel hasn't been built up in as many layers. Of course, there is more obviously blue showing through on areas of his shirt. The woman's face below uses significantly less layers.

I am off to go run errands so I can get back to drawing and painting! Until next time, take care.