Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Faces #599-#600, Part One

 Among my travels during this very busy week, I had given someone a ride to the local courthouse. While I was waiting to bring the person home, I sat staring at the walls. Our courthouse has these huge slabs of stunning variegated marble that cover a good portion of every wall. In an earlier post, I mentioned an article I read relating to art and the brain, and how the brain can compensate for details that are left out. This process of abstraction (filling in the blanks), occurred for me while staring at the marble walls in the courthouse. I saw brilliant faces and figures there, and it was like viewing an incredible work of art. Given my familiarity with certain curves related to face and form, it is easy to see why I might be able to abstract what wasn't there. I had to remind myself that I was looking at natural formations in a stone, and not something someone had painted....just in awe.
There were also a lot of the more literal type faces hanging there on the walls. There were compilations of  photographs of members of the local bar association based on year. I wondered how many faces there were, in all, filling those frames.

Although very busy, I have at least started this new piece with faces #599, and #600. I will try to complete it by the weekend.

Until next time, take care!