Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Green And Gruesome

I happen to think green is a lovely color. Sometimes. I have also seen some "one note" landscape paintings that were ruined by too much of a heavy hand with this color (and even done one like that myself). And let's face it...green and the human body, not very appealing. Nonetheless, I did this detailed figure study below on the last sheet of an aquamarine paper sample. I had originally planned to go with rendering the flesh tones, but got so immersed with the drawing itself and detail that I abandoned my original ideas for the piece. It was a lucrative study, even if in the end he looks somewhat ghastly because of the color. I really further grasped some of the relationships of shapes pertaining to muscle and bone and how they relate to the visible surface of the body. I am really enjoying the further studying of anatomy that I have taken on recently.


It took me less than two minutes to digitally edit the image in a sepia version that is less ghastly!
I have to get on the ball here, and try to get more drawing and painting done. This is all I've done this week, and it hasn't been for lack of time. 

Until next time, take care!