Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"A Chemical Romance", Faces #788-#789

In spite of (and maybe because of) the searing inflammation and pain of Rheumatoid Arthritis, I completed this approx. 17" by 21" pastel piece last night. Once I get going and get immersed in a piece, the pain seems a distant thing..."It's hard to see the shadow when you're looking into the light." 
In this piece which I have for the time being titled "A Chemical Romance", I decided to leave the man and woman looking more "drawn" than the more painterly background. I drew them with a sienna Nu Pastel on this parma colored Canson sheet. I may go back with a blending stump and smooth out the "drawn look", the lines. I don't know. I do like the drawn look, and the ability to draw is certainly a gift to me. I have met some artists who seem to do anything to avoid drawing, and instead favor tracing and projectors. But considering all the artists who do draw, and how competitive the field is, I think a person really limits themselves. I always frown when I see the ostensible discrepancies in a piece that was obviously traced or projected and traced, rather than drawn. Something soulless and barren. Even when not rendered entirely accurate or rendered deliberately inaccurate, drawing exhibits an intimacy and connection with a subject that gives a piece its spirit. Besides...anyone can just trace something. It's not some special ability. Paint by numbers. I would rather purposefully graze whatever drawing tool across the page, forming features and creating. But drawing is a passion for me.

I'm getting so close to having eight hundred faces done here! I'm hoping by next week! Until next time, take care!