Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Art Of Editing

It's been said that the kiss of death for many an artist is to fall in love with their work. What it means, is that one shouldn't be so pleased with a piece that they lose their objectivity about it. Fall in love with the process, but keep a distance when evaluating the actual product. It's worth it to let your work sit for at least a short time before returning with a fresher eye. I went back to my last piece, and although I felt the man's face had a lot of character (particularly the nose), I edited it so it was more in keeping with the rest of the piece. 
 Then, with this current painting (face #790), I needed a couple hours away before heading back and making some corrections. It started out as a torso study, then I added the head, arms and then the background. After finishing that, I realized a minor problem with a proportion that was related to foreshortening. It was an easy fix and a minor problem, but I needed the break in between to "see it" better. I didn't work it from a model or photo, so it becomes even more critical at times to be unbiased if striving for a certain level of accuracy. This untitled torso/figure study was done on 19" by 25" pale peach Daler-Rowney Murano paper. The texture is heavier than Canson, and it was perfect for the heavy layers in the background. I started with some very dark pastels filling almost the entire background, and then layered until I got the values and look I wanted, scumbling lighter and lighter.
I have a small pile of work that I have procrastinated in the editing, mostly because I've been busy. It will be good once I finally get back to them, with a "fresher eye"!

Until next time, take care! And thanks for visiting!