Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Untitled Mixed Media Piece

Wanting to escape from the world for a while, I turned my phone off and threw myself into working on this 20" by 32" mixed media piece (below) all day and part of the evening on Sunday. Still trying to come up with a title for it as of this writing, but it is to be a gift for someone...
Here it is below, shown in photographs as the piece progressed. I started with a large piece of mat board in a pale salmon color, painting the landscape directly on the board in pastel. Then, using both drawing pencils and pastels, I rendered the shells on pastel paper and cut them out to be attached to the piece. I also cut and added the marbled paper strips and triangles. 
In this next photo, I have added a scallop shell which I rendered and cut from a decorative paper with gold accents.
More decorative paper is cut, auditioned and added...
The finished piece again, below. I think I am going to go with a black mat border before framing.
Hope the week is off to a good start for everyone! Until next time, take care!