Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bargains, Faces, & Goals

I went to "Michael's" the other day to replenish my dwindling paper supply, and landed on a great bargain. For anyone who has not had the occasion, "Michael's" is a large chain of art/craft supply shops located throughout the US. While I was there recently, I wandered past an area where the acrylic paints are located and happened to look on the bottom shelf. There were these boxed sets containing Winsor and Newton table top easels. I couldn't find a price, and asked a clerk who happened past. For twenty five dollars, I bought the Michael's exclusive Winsor and Newton boxed set containing the easel, a great pad of paper, a mannequin, 10 pencils with leads of varying intensity, 10 colored pencils, a small pad of sand paper, an eraser, some vine charcoal sticks, a metal pencil sharpener, and eight soft pastels. For twenty five bucks!!! The Winsor and Newton easel alone has been worth the purchase. I used the paper for the following colored pencil faces (Faces #194-#197): Face #198 and Face #199 (below) are colored pencil and ink, and of a more experimental nature:
Face #200-Face #210 are pencil (below):
 I am now one fifth of the way to completing my goal of a thousand faces, and it has crossed my mind that perhaps I could be focusing some of my drawing energies on more than just faces. I can just as easily post any additional pursuits here on this blog, along with more faces. I haven't reached any concrete decisions about this yet...just entertaining some new ideas.
I am playing with some ideas for a weekend project which I will be sure to post about on Monday if possible. Until then, have a great weekend!