Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Face #211, Weekender Project

Face #211 started with a sketch on lined notebook paper (not shown here), and then I went on to redraw it (below) on 18" by 24" drawing paper. You may be able to see the faint remains of some erasures, the indication of different poses I considered before settling on this one. This second sketch was then transferred onto 24" by 36" matt board by very primitive means. I would have just redrawn it yet again, but the matt board does not take erasures well...so a transfer method using tracing paper was the way to go. While the transfer worked well within certain limits, by the time I add some color with the soft pastels (below), I realize this is just a foundation and I will need to do some more work.After doing some more work, I am almost tempted to leave the mermaid in this sort of nondescript state where there is only a subtle personality to her face (below), and her covering.  But I pressed on, extracting the detail that I knew was hiding somewhere in that matt board (below). It's not quite finished (below). I would say I have about 2 more hours of work, minimum, to add the rest of the background and to do more polishing overall. I had hoped to complete it over the weekend, but then I am particular about working in natural light for a piece such as this. As the sun went down yesterday, I knew I would need a little more time.I hope to get to finish the piece over the week, but have a lot going on, so we'll see! Hope all have had a good weekend, and enjoy the upcoming week. Until next time.