Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A "Guess Who" Or Two

Can you guess who these two celebrities are just by looking at the early stages of these two paintings? I imagine it will be easier to guess the identity of the woman. Look for a post sometime later in the week when the paintings are finished to see if you guessed correctly!I had mentioned in my last post that the black and white sketches I post might not seem as glamourous as full color. But here's the thing: many works of art come from just such humble beginnings. Consider it a solid foundation that many artists use in building their work .
     This design below, rendered in Adobe Illustrator, began in black and white. In many ways, I like the black and white design just as it is, without any color.The design was for a quilt/quilt pattern (below). I had a student take a class and make one of these several years back. I also did the face for her. In any event, she has asked me to do the actual quilting stitches on her finished quilt top (which is something I have been doing this week.)For those non-quilters reading, the quilting stitches are the stitches that hold the top, the batting and the quilt backing together. The stitches can be very plain utility type stitches joining the three layers or as elaborate in artistry as pictured below.
Quilting motifs sometimes pepper my traditional work such as the feathers in the colored pencil image below.
Face #320
Look for my next post to fall probably on Saturday (but I may try to sneak it in before then if I am able.) Until next time, take care!