Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Point Of View

Even with the distortion of the painting lying flat, I thought face #438 (above) looked better from the point of view shown, from the natural setting and light in which it was created. I took the quick picture with the camera on my cell phone. It's good to see things a different way sometimes to keep a fresh point of view. Considering this is not an actual person who modeled for me or who was in a photograph, I think she is "believable" and that the less informed person would not be able to guess that she was fictitious. A bit of imagination and a hefty dose of drawing skills. It is almost laughable that there are individuals who draw real people who try to compete with just such fictitious imagery, or others who criticize the imaginary like it was real. Would the same individuals paint a clock from a photograph and compare it to say one of Dali's, or criticize Dali about his clocks being rendered incorrectly? See what I mean about the comparison to the imaginary almost being laughable? But on a more positive note about criticism, I had a friend who was recently looking at my gallery of celebrity portraits on the wall next to some of my fictitious faces and he said they all looked real to him! And at times I have wanted some of my fictitious characters to be just so believable...so I should be flattered if someone wants to compare them to a rendering done from real life. 
Faces #439 and #440 
Until next time, take care!