Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Friday, April 5, 2013

"Drama Queen", Face #794

This 19" by 25" pastel painting was equal parts a figure study, as well as a "dark ground" study. It was somewhat challenging to work this piece on the black Canson paper. I loosely sketched it out first with my sienna Nu Pastel, and had to adjust after as I was working so as to get proportions right. I do like, as I have mentioned before, to work on dark surfaces because the effect can be so dramatic. Her hair (which I initially would have done in a more natural neutral shade) just seemed to will itself to be rendered this very dramatic blue. If I continue with the piece, the treatment for the background will be subdued so as not to detract from the bold subject.
I really let this week get away from me time-wise, and wanted to be up to Face #800 by this point. Alas, there is always next week. Until next time, thanks for visiting and take care!