Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Adventure And Misadventure

Faces # 343-#345
"Sometimes you're the dog, and sometimes you're the hydrant" my Mother has told me. Such was the case on a recent shopping trip to my favorite local art supply store. 
    Southern Paint (the name of the store) mostly sells house paints and such, but they also have a nice big room devoted to art supplies. I have been going there for so long that when I was there this last time, the girl working there asked me how my son was doing. When I told her he was starting college this year, she just winced because she remembers him as a toddler, and it's hard to believe how much time has passed. 
    I was primarily there to buy pastel paper, but the selection was slim this go around. I remembered that some other pastelists have used water color paper, and grabbed a few pads. The girl raised her eyebrow at that, and I should have taken her reaction as a sign. Because although there are pastelists who do use water color paper for a surface, they certainly aren't using the brand I bought. These three faces in this post are rendered on that paper. Although you can't tell from the pictures, the pastel doesn't cover the surface in a predictable way...so there are areas with too much of it, and other areas with very little coverage. "Sometimes you're the dog, and sometimes you're the hydrant." 
    I was thrilled with the handful of loose Rembrandt pastels I bought, anyway! And it was nice to see the girl who works there again. 
Until next time, take care!