Mission Statement

This is a blog in which I intend to reach my goal to draw/paint a thousand faces! Welcome, and come along for the journey!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

From The Kitchen: Cupcakes With Mocha Icing

Between being sick, and a road trip, I have what my blogger friend Libby calls a "backlog of sh*^t". So no new faces to post at this time, because I am behind in everything! However, I thought I would share a recipe of mine.
I used to be a certified Wilton cake decorating instructor, as well as having the pleasure of studying under some internationally known sugar artists. While I profess that my interest was more in the artistic aspect of cakes and the decorating, I have been known to have some cooking chops, too. Like many a cake decorator, I came up with some of my own recipes for icing. This one is great for cupcakes. Choose your favorite yellow, white or chocolate cake mix and make the cupcakes according to the directions and frost with this mocha icing!
In a mixer, combine and mix the following:
  • 1 stick of butter, softened but not melted
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 3/4 can of commercially prepared chocolate frosting
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup of water
  • 5 or more TBS. of instant coffee granules (reg. or decaf.) to taste, dissolved in equal parts of water
While a Kitchen Aid Mixer with a shield works best, any mixer will do if you carefully and slowly add up to 3 pounds of powdered sugar after combining the above ingredients. You are striving for a certain consistency, and the amount of the sugar you will need varies upon humidity and other factors. You want a consistency that is easy for you to work with in frosting your cupcakes! Not too runny, not too stiff! Feel free to add small increments of water or sugar to adjust, as well as adding more coffee for desired flavor. I have also been known to add in some coffee brandy in place of some of the water for a more adult like icing! This icing will keep well in the fridge for up to a month. Enjoy!